Friday, September 14, 2012

of unearned gold (published in See Spot Run)

you must cross the river twice
to return home I am told
if you wish to gamble everything.

the first crossing is always easier
and is merely
          (as if this were in fact some small thing)
a matter of assertion.

when you return
the river is always drowning swift,
black deep,
and sky wide.
you cannot swim and must pay to cross.
I am afraid I will have no coin for the bargeman.

will you lend me enough for my fare?
he does not take coin of this realm
and I have made bad investments,
lived beyond my means,
and spent all my gifts.

press it beneath my tongue
so I don't forget it
when I set out on the journey, and
so I am quiet and thoughtful
with the taste of unearned gold in my mouth.

(published in Nov/Dec issue of "See Spot Run")


No comments:

Post a Comment