Monday, February 29, 2016

7/52: hello, tree spirit



Hello, tree spirit
I know you are following me,
following me in the woods.

Do you love me more than the others?
You hide treasures along the foot path:
moss on an old log,
three leaves laid just so,
a mushroom blooming like a young woman.

Are these for me? Only for me?
Or do you share your secrets
with whomever happens along?
The old man with the damn dog
that should be on a leash;
the couple running in spandex
with iPods plugged in their ears -
together, alone;
the three college boys smoking weed
as if no one had smoked weed in the woods
before them.

How do they deserve your attention
when I walk so slowly
and I can feel you following me,
just behind my peripheral.

Do you share your secrets with them
when I do not come for days?
Do you share your secrets with them
when I am not clever enough to see
the gifts you have placed in the shadow,
or in the glinter light?

Be faithful to me, tree spirit.
I am but a mortal, with a mortal man's years.
Be faithful to me,
follow me, only me, in the woods,
and I will love you when I am old.

When I am gone, lay your treasures
by my footprints
grown thin with time.



Audio: https://soundcloud.com/mbonica/hello-tree-spirit


No comments:

Post a Comment