Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Morning Commute



I can hear The Downeaster pushing the air ahead of it

before it rumbles past the back of the house, again,

like it does every morning.

In the late days of winter, the sun is just cresting

as we hear the train making its way back to Boston again,

the light glinting off the silver roofs

 just visible from my kitchen table.

At this hour it's businesspeople reading the paper

or their morning emails,

drinking coffee. 

They're eyes rest on the glass of the windows

but mostly they see their calendars and day's meetings

even as the New Hampshire woods slide past.

Some part of their brain is  vaguely aware of a little house with grey siding

they just passed,

sun reflecting off the windows. 

They don't see the man, also drinking coffee,

looking back at them.

They are passing through Newburyport

when I put my mug in the dishwasher 

and wander up to my office

where my own calendar and email awaits.



No comments:

Post a Comment