Tuesday, May 25, 2021

the game



I didn't hear the coach at first
pulling me out of the game early -
I thought I had another inning or three -
or was it another quarter? another period? 
another match? a few more holes?
I thought I'd be walking off of the field
with everyone else, shaking hands, slapping backs
and maybe in years to come,
I'd sit in the stands
and reminisce about the good old days.

Instead, here I am walking back to the locker room
alone.
I wave to the custodian sweeping the halls
under the hard fluorescent lights
pushing a broom that looks like a giant white moustache.
I take off my uniform and fold it neatly on the polished bench
and pull on my jeans.

As I push the aluminum bar to open the door to the parking lot
I am struck by how dark it has become,
how quiet.
The game goes on
and on,
but I no longer hear the cheers from the fans
or the referee's whistle.

I played well, I hope, as I step through the threshold.
I'd like to imagine they will talk about
a while
over beers tonight
or next season when the play 
would have been just right to put me in.
For a moment,
it would be like I was there again.

**


No comments:

Post a Comment