Wednesday, May 23, 2012

19/365: Globalization and the Labor Plight of Elves

Globalization and the Labor Plight of Elves

You think I'm joking again
when I return from late night shopping,
so I shrug and we drop it,

but the elves do come out after eleven
at the grocery store.

They work the late shift, stocking shelves
in their curly toed slippers and floppy hats.
I stared the first time I saw a pair of them
stiff arming the mysterious double hinged deli doors,
going on about the Red Sox's chances this year.
Now I just nod and keep pushing my carriage.
I think they appreciate that.

No, they don't make shoes anymore -
the Chinese do that.
These are German, or maybe Austrian elves -
they haven't worked the trades in centuries.

I don't joke about the labor plight of elves.
Bill, the one with the long black beard and the green beanie
says he'd like to get back to shoe making one day -
maybe when he retires -
but what, with the way his 401K is,
he doesn't have time to worry about beautiful things.






No comments:

Post a Comment